Wednesday, April 3, 2013

A Dearth of Actual Play


So, if you've ever gone back to the beginning of this blog, you'd know I started this to quasi-document introducing my children and the next generation of the folks I game with to D&D.

I've not had an actual play report since September of last year, which is the single time we've gotten the children together in the same room to game.

As it turns out, kids are really freaking busy. Who knew, right?

Fortunately, there's two children whose schedules I fully understand and control.

Mine.

They just turned 8 and 4, respectively.


I'm pretty settled as to how I'm going to go about this. But, since I've got this blog, I can trickle out the process on this here interwebatron out-of-band from actually doing the gaming portion.


In the meantime, let me leave you with these nuggets for child's play that's D&D-esque. I've linked to the excellent Board Game Geek website, who will provide a far better view into the rules and some actual play reports:


  • Caves And Claws: This is a cute little boardgame. At it's most basic, there's a configurable board with paths that lead to 'dungeons'. In the dungeons are treasure, or a monster that guards treasure. Each monster has a specific sort of object that takes the monster out of play.

    The idea is to get as much treasure out of the dungeon as possible.

    The basic rules are great for learning the game, but if you go in and randomize the layout, you can easily get into a more difficult or impossible-to-win situations.

  • Lego Heroica: By Zack's Goggles, would I have killed for this when I was 10.

    Essentially, you run little 1x1 Lego Minifigs around a preset dungeon, which from a bird's eye view looks like a dungeon mapped out on graph paper. There's items to pick up, items you can buy, monsters to slay, doors to unlock - the simplicity of the rules make adding on a snap.

    Out of the box there's rules for a "battle" mode where one person runs the monsters, and gold & item collection is meant to persist between "missions". Since it's Lego,  you can rework and combine all the sets to your heart's content.

    Honestly, it's a better dungeon game than Dungeon!, as far as a gateway to D&D. Different classes, a concept of a referee, freedom to reconfigure the "board", and an amazing capability to support more complex house rules.

    Get it before it's gone! Lego doesn't make these themed games forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment